Earthquake in Indonesia
Yogyakarta, Indonesia, May 28, 2006 — DISASTER RESPONSE: The Asia Foundation assesses needs for May 27 earthquake victims
On Saturday May 27, the city of Yogyakarta in Indonesia was near the epicenter of a 6.2 earthquake. Thousands of people have been killed or injured in this disaster. The Asia Foundation, in partnership with Give2Asia, is looking into appropriate responses to help those affected. Give2Asia has established the G2A Yogyakarta Earthquake Fund to raise money for short-term and long-term recovery. Give2Asia is working with field staff in Indonesia to prioritize needs and to identify local organizations near the quake that are providing essential services in the affected areas.
Since the tsunami of December 2004, The Asia Foundation has worked on a variety of programs addressing longer term needs of tsunami survivors and tsunami-affected communities.
Examples of Foundation post-tsunami programs include:
- A 16-month assessment of reconstruction efforts in Aceh, Indonesia to identify areas that still require attention and improvement.
- Providing legal aid services to those in Southern Thailand who must resolve land ownership disputes, , inheritance and unemployment issues, and adoptions of orphans.
- Working to reduce conflict in Sri Lanka by building local government bodies’ capacity to conduct participatory development planning; collect and manage financial resources; and improve local-level service delivery.
- Cohosting a post-tsunami summit where government leaders, private voluntary organizations, and American companies most active in tsunami reconstruction discussed coordinating aid efforts.
- Working to rebuild the fishing industry in affected areas of India.
This is just a sample of The Asia Foundation’s post-tsunami work, which has been made possible in part by the World Bank, the Royal Netherlands Embassy in Indonesia, USAID, numerous individuals, and the Foundation’s partner organization Give2Asia. For more information about specific activies, please use the links to the right.
THE LATEST ACROSS ASIA
Asia Foundation Supports 2016 Korean Film and Culture Workshop
July 22, 2016
Asia Foundation Trustees Participate in World Peace Forum in Beijing
July 20, 2016
Asia Foundation Convenes “Afghanistan Going Forward” Conference
July 14, 2016
Brexit Lessons for ASEAN: Exiting Not a Good Option
July 13, 2016