Accounting Manager, Finance
Location: San Francisco
Deadline: August 21, 2017
In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region?
You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The Asia Foundation’s Finance Unit is seeking an Accounting Manager. The Accounting Manager maintains and oversees the Foundation’s General Accounting and Payroll Unit at the headquarters location, including consolidation and review procedures related to our Asia country office locations. Responsible for the effective use of financial systems. Manages accounting staff and processes related to general ledger, accounts payable and payroll. Manages the monthly and annual accounting closes. Monitors and forecasts the Foundation’s cash position. Responsible for compliance with statutory regulations and related reporting. Assists in preparing for and managing the Foundation’s annual external audit and supports country office program audits. Coordinates with other auditors as needed. Provides guidance to country offices and program units on accounting and compliance matters. The Accounting Manager is the key contributor in the development and implementation of a documented, tested and optimized internal control environment. Contributes significantly to continuous improvement in Accounting Policies and Procedures, and ensures technical accounting compliance throughout the Foundation. Hands-on contributor to audits, tax returns and other regulatory filings. Provides leadership and support to the accounting close process.
This role includes serving as a hands-on team member responsible for performing and reviewing transactions and all general accounting processes. Support top management as requested in the development of new processes and analyses.
- Supervise General Accounting and Payroll staff in San Francisco; Support accounting and internal controls for the finance teams located in country offices.
- Regular interaction with staff in all units and divisions, including country offices.
- Close coordination with GIS staff, Financial Systems Manager, Program Finance, Budget Services and Resource Development.
- Represent the Foundation to outside interests as necessary. Interaction with governmental agencies as required.
- Minimum five years accounting experience with increasing responsibility, preferably in the not-for-profit or governmental sectors.
- At least three years of management and supervisory experience.
- Evidence of cultural sensitivity. Living and working internationally is a plus.
- Experienced in internal controls and risk assessment requirements and processes.
- Experience working in a large, highly decentralized and complex organization a plus.
- Experience as an internal or external auditor is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or closely related field.
- CPA preferred, but not required.
- Microsoft Office applications.
- Deltek CostPoint and related financial applications experience a plus.
- Knowledge of Microsoft SharePoint a plus.
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving ability.
- A team-building and mentoring management approach.
- Excellent written and oral English communications skills required.
- Working knowledge of US government cost principles, FAR and 2 CFR 200.
- Occasional travel to Asia may be required.
- Oversee General Accounting US and Asia:
- Understand and implement all general accounting processing requirements.
- Responsible for computer software processing routines on multiple systems.
- Refine existing processes and develop new processes as needed to maximize efficiency.
- Provide training and guidance to financial staff in the US and in Asia on the use of the Foundation’s financial systems.
- Ensure all procedures are well documented.
- Perform transactional work as needed within General Accounting.
- Manage General Accounting and Payroll in San Francisco:
- Lead and support the General Accounting and Payroll team responsible for the close process and transaction processing with strong leadership, mentoring and providing the necessary tools and training for the team. Matrix manage staff in Budget Services who perform General Accounting activities.
- Perform the more technically complex analysis and reconciliations including multi-year pledge accounting and trust valuations, among others.
- Provide training and guidance to financial staff in the US and Asia pertaining to the proper application of technical accounting requirements.
- Perform related party financial statements consolidation and reviews.
- Manage responses to audit requests and findings:
- Prepare for and assist with coordination and management of the Foundation’s annual external audit, preparation of financial statements and Single Audit Report (SAR).
- With the assistance of the external auditors, prepare the Foundation’s Form 990 federal tax return and annual state tax filings.
- Responsible for overseeing property tax, payroll tax, W-2, 1099, other statutory filings.
- Responsible for reviewing classification of costs in accordance with OMB and IRS regulations and in compliance with U.S. GAAP.
- Support requests for information pertaining to field offices including audits by program funders and statutory audits.
- Support the annual audit of The Asia Foundation’s Defined Contribution Plan as needed.
- Lead the follow up on audit findings, as needed.
- Policies and Procedures:
- Update existing policies and procedures as needed.
- Create new policies and procedures as needed.
- Publish and maintain the latest worldwide general accounting policies and procedures on the Foundation’s SharePoint site, along with related Frequently Asked Questions.
- Ensure GAAP and 2 CFR 200 requirements are reflected in Policies and Procedures.
- Contribute to effective cross-functional processes related to internal controls.
- Review country office internal audit reports and assist with the implementation of changes where needed.
- Internal controls:
- Key contributor in the development and implementation of a documented, tested and optimized internal control environment in the US and Asia.
- Assess the existing control environment and recommend improvements to internal controls and procedures.
- Working with the Financial Systems Manager and the GIS staff to ensure effective financial systems application internal controls.
- Working with Human Resources and the outside Payroll System provider to ensure effective human resource and payroll application internal controls.
- Project Management.
- Monitor The Asia Foundation’s cash position and project cash balances:
- Review daily cash report.
- Review and approve US bank account reconciliations.
- Review and approve country office bank account reconciliations with recorded cash balances.
- Analyze the sources and uses of cash
- Contribute to development of a robust methodology for updating projected cash balances.
Why work at The Asia Foundation?
At a critical moment in history, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the development, stability, and growth of the Asia region. You will help promote a more constructive engagement between government and citizens and advance learning and awareness about The Asia Foundation. You will work with and learn from dedicated, smart, and accomplished colleagues and local partners, and, in the process, improve your skills and expertise.Apply now
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please.
HIGHLIGHTS ACROSS ASIA
ASEAN at 50: Walking a Tightrope?
August 9, 2017
Labor Migration: A Gender-Neutral Lens to Human Trafficking
July 12, 2017
In.CoDe: Indonesia’s Competition for Civic Tech Apps
CNBC: APEC Connect App to Crack the Export Market
July 7, 2017
New York Minute: The Asia Foundation Helps Women Economically, Socially, and Politically
July 7, 2017
Girls Empowerment Storybook Collection Now Available from Let’s Read!
July 3, 2017