Chief of Party, Timor-Leste Tourism Capacity Building
Deadline: July 10, 2017
The Asia Foundation, a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia, is seeking a Chief of Party in the area of tourism development for an upcoming project in Timor-Leste.
This position is contingent on funding from USAID.
- Chief of Party candidates must have an advanced degree in international development, social science, public policy, business, or another relevant field of study.
- A minimum of five years of experience as a Chief of Party or Project Director on a tourism development, institutional strengthening, economic reform, or private sector development project.
- Minimum of ten years of experience managing large, complex donor-funded projects; USG or especially USAID experience preferred.
- Demonstrated capabilities in high-level strategic visioning and leadership, and experience in working effectively with senior government officials/agencies, civil society, USAID, local and national government authorities, the private sector, or other development partners and donors.
- Demonstrated experience in managing research initiatives and drawing on research to facilitate the development and implementation of evidence-based policies.
- Proven technical and managerial experience and skills, preferably in Timor-Leste and/or Southeast Asia/the Pacific.
- Demonstrated leadership and administrative skills in program management, including managing budgets and personnel, motivating and supervising team efforts, and leading and supervising multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proven effectiveness in relationships with counterparts, partners, and clients is required.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Strong preference to candidates with specific experience and expertise in the tourism sector including but not limited to:
- the development and management of sustainable tourism and tourism investment;
- working with counterparts within government tourism ministries on strengthening of institutional capacity and developing polices; and
- engaging with communities on both eco- and community-based tourism initiatives.
- Knowledge or experience of the tourism sector in Timor-Leste is strongly preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English required.
- Tetum, Portuguese, or Bahasa Indonesia language capacity preferred.
All candidates must be able to demonstrate an understanding of value systems, traditions, social norms, and practices of different cultures and religions. Excellent consulting skills will be required including: communication, both oral and written, consensus building, and team facilitation, all with an emphasis on results and cultural sensitivity.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and CV by July 10, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position listed in the subject line. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/M/F/D/V. No phone calls, please.
HIGHLIGHTS ACROSS ASIA
Forced Labor and Child Trafficking in India’s Garment Sector
September 20, 2017
Asia Foundation Development Fellows 2017 in San Francisco
September 18, 2017
Library of Congress Honors Asia Foundation for Promoting Literacy
September 14, 2017
Labor Migration’s Impact Economically, Socially and Politically in Nepal
September 7, 2017