July 2, 2010 — Micah West is the first Luce Scholar ever to be placed in Laos. In 2009 he started work at the Lao Bar Association, a partner organization in our Access to Justice program. In 2007, the association, with our assistance, launched the nation’s first mobile legal aid clinic. Lawyers and paralegals go to villages so that residents – especially women, ethnic minorities, the poor, and vulnerable – who might have consulted friends on legal matters in the past, can now query lawyers about land rights, property inheritance, lawful contracts, and other issues. Micah recently traveled to remote and mountainous Oudomxay to observe and assist with the effort. There, he helped conduct follow-up meetings with a 15-year-old Hmong woman whose boyfriend disappeared quickly after finding out she was pregnant, leaving her with no financial resources or support to raise their child. Through village mediation they tracked the boyfriend down and a settlement was negotiated. The young woman is now using the money to open a store. “Extraordinary and life-changing,” Micah says of his experience so far. The Luce Scholars program was established by the Henry Luce Foundation in 1974, and, in partnership with The Asia Foundation, provides opportunities for young Americans to gain a firsthand understanding of Asia by living and working for a year in an Asian nation.
Assistant Director, Global Communications
- The Asia Foundation Signs Memorandum of Understanding with the Government of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar and Appoints Country Representative for Myanmar
May 14, 2013
- Asia Foundation Co-Hosts Conference in Melbourne on Future of International Development in Asia
May 13, 2013
- Subnational Conflicts in Asia: Can Foreign Aid Help?
Event: Monday, June 17, 2013
- US Ambassador To ASEAN David Carden Speaks At Asia Foundation In San Francisco
May 6, 2013
- Video Democracy - Perspectives of Mongolian Citizens
- Multimedia Feature Asian Perspectives: Asian Approaches to Development
- Video Access to Trade and Growth of Women's SMEs in APEC Developing Economies
- Slideshow The Asia Foundation's Official Visit with Myanmar President U Thein Sein
- Video The Asia Foundation's Environment Programs
- Video Daw Aung San Suu Kyi at The Asia Foundation - September 28, 2012