The L.Z. Yuan Fellowship in Media and International Affairs
The L.Z. Yuan Fellowship in Media and International Affairs is named after the late Lun-Zun Yuan, who initiated the Foundation's program with China and served with the Foundation for over four decades. Prior to joining the Foundation in 1954, Mr. Yuan was a journalist; the L.Z. Yuan Fellowship reflects his conviction that the media has an important role to play in international affairs.
The fellowship offers young Chinese journalists an opportunity to gain a better understanding of key issues and concerns in international affairs, particularly those relevant to U.S.-China relations. The award supports participation in a course on U.S. foreign policy/international affairs, followed by a specially-tailored month-long affiliation with an international affairs organization and/or a series of meetings with members of the policy and media sectors.
In the summer of 2015, Mr. Liu Yang, Deputy Newsroom Reporter at Global Times was the eleventh L.Z. Yuan Fellow. Mr. Liu participated in a summer course on U.S. Foreign Policy at George Washington University followed by a two and-a-half week professional affiliation at the Henry L. Stimson Center in Washington D.C. He also met with economists and representatives of the business community in San Francisco to examine the Bay Area's business and trade relations with China.
The previous L.Z. Yuan Fellows were as follows:
- 2013: Ms. Liu Wanyuan, Chief Reporter, China Newsweek
- 2011: Mr. Zhang Feifei, Reporter, Economic Observer in Beijing
- 2009: Ms. Yu Yihan, International News Editor, Oriental Morning Post, Shanghai
- 2007: Mr. Li Hongwei, Editor/Reporter, Global Times, Beijing
- 2005-06: Ms. Pan Linhua, Executive Editor of International News, Editorial Department, China Central Television, Beijing
- 2004-05: Mr. Wang Shuo, News Editor and Deputy Managing Editor, Caijing Magazine, Beijing
- 2003-04: Mr. Yuan Tiecheng, Foreign Affairs Reporter, International News Department, China Youth Daily, Beijing
- 2002-03: Mr. Yu Zheng, National news Desk Editor, Xinhua News Agency, Beijing
- 2001-02: Ms. Cai Hong, Deputy Chief of Opinion Department, China Daily, Beijing
- 2000-01: Ms. Hu Xiangqun, Field Director, International News, China Central Television, Beijing
Contributions to the fellowship may be directed to the L.Z. Yuan Fellowship Fund, c/o The Asia Foundation, P.O. Box 193223, San Francisco, CA 94119-3223.