Chief of Party, USAID Mekong Safeguards Project
Deadline: July 12, 2019
In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region?
You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Asia Foundation seeks an experienced Chief of Party (COP) for the Mekong Safeguards Project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The program focuses on a range of issues including environmental, social, and governance standards, environmental protection, and infrastructure development in the Mekong region. Program activities will be based in China, with related activities in Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam.
The COP’s responsibilities include providing overall vision, leadership, and guidance for the project. Based in Beijing, the COP must have a proven experience managing multi-country environmental governance, public sector, and private sector-related governance reform. The focus of the program is on promoting environmental and social safeguards on infrastructure development, financing, and regulations. The ideal candidate will have considerable experience and networks in China and/or the Mekong region. Experience implementing complex and multifaceted projects is required, with knowledge of or experience in adaptive management approaches a strong plus. The COP is expected to have the strategic vision, leadership qualities, depth and breadth of technical expertise and experience, a solid professional reputation, management experience, interpersonal skills, and written and oral presentation skills to fulfill the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the program. S/he will have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and a proven track record of working effectively with diverse groups of senior level government counterparts, business leaders, multilateral development banks, regulators, financial institutions, developers, think tanks, and civil society organizations. Given the complexity and scope of this project, it is critical that the COP exhibit effective management of project consortium, personnel management, work plans, and monitoring and evaluation.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
• Serve as the primary point of contact with USAID for procedural and substantive matters, and be responsible for quality control of the technical aspects of performance, procurement, personnel, reporting, and other management-related requirements of the cooperative agreement;
• Provide technical leadership for program activities including conceptualizing, designing, implementing and monitoring innovative, cutting-edge programming activities;
• Build and manage relationships with US government and USAID counterparts in Bangkok, including meeting and consulting regularly with USAID regarding the program’s performance and direction;
• Ensure efficient management and coordination of multiple consortium partners across several countries;
• Supervise a team of professionals and experts across various technical and functional areas.
• Relevant degree in international development, environment/social science, public policy, or a related field of study;
• At least eight years of senior managerial-level experience in China and/or the Mekong region;
• Proven track record managing multi-country and high-profile projects;
• Demonstrated leadership capabilities in high-level strategic visioning, and experience working effectively with senior government officials/agencies, government and private sector leaders, USAID, Department of State, and other development partners and donors, multilateral development banks, regional platforms, regulators, financial institutions, developers, and civil society in the Mekong region.
• Strong understanding of infrastructure development in the Mekong region and the Mekong ecosystem, climate change, development finance, and the Belt and Road Initiative;
• Demonstrated leadership/managerial, technical, and administrative skills in project management, particularly for USAID projects of similar size and scope, including managing budgets and personnel, motivating and supervising team efforts, and achieving success in complex activities, preferably in China or the Mekong region;
• Proven effectiveness in relationships with counterparts, partners, and clients, and strong interpersonal and organizational skills;
• Solid understanding of the value systems, traditions, and social norms and practices of different cultures, particularly in China and the Mekong region, strongly preferred; and
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Excellent oral and written communication skills in Chinese a strong plus.
Why work at The Asia Foundation?
You will have the opportunity to contribute to development in the Mekong region and, more broadly, to the development, stability, and growth of the dynamic Asian region. You will help promote a more effective and constructive engagement between government and citizens, strengthen the role of women and minorities, and advance learning and awareness about the country. You will work with and learn from dedicated, smart, and accomplished colleagues, program partners, and local leaders. In the process, you will improve your skills and grow as a development professional.
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please.
HIGHLIGHTS ACROSS ASIA
Let’s Read, our free digital library,
is helping children learn at home.
Learn about our Covid-19 efforts.
Let’s Read, our free digital library, is helping children learn at home. Learn about our Covid-19 efforts.