Communications Specialist, Mekong Safeguards
USAID and Australia Mekong Safeguards Program (aka “Mekong Safeguards”) is a five-year, $10.55 million partnership project between the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). The Asia Foundation implements this regional and bilateral Program which operates in the five countries of the Greater Mekong: China, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, and Cambodia. Mekong Safeguards’ goal is to reduce the negative environmental and social impacts of the region’s large energy, transportation, and water infrastructure. A combined $8.6 million USAID cooperative agreement and a $1.85 million Australia DFAT grant support the project.
The Asia Foundation’s Thailand office seeks qualified, talented applicants for communications specialist for the USAID Mekong Safeguards program, reporting to the chief of party. USAID Mekong Safeguards is a unique strategic regional collaboration initiative between the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).
The communications specialist is a vital programmatic role for a creative technical. The communications specialist will lead communications activities, product design, filming and interviewing, branding and marketing, social media outreach, public relations, and events. As Covid-19 has moved USAID’s development activities into the virtual space, programmatic mastery in the communications sphere is paramount. While the communications specialist will participate in operationalizing and streamlining all routine communications activities, including drafting and proofing client-facing and public-facing documents, the candidate must be proactive in producing short-form digital, video, and social media content. The program needs an ambitiously creative and experienced professional who can create visually stunning and provocative, popular content in line with USAID Mekong Safeguard’s mission. The candidate must brainstorm and execute excellent creative ideas and bring a new voice to government content in the international development space.
Though based in Bangkok, there may be opportunities to travel to countries across the Greater Mekong Subregion, including China, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Myanmar.
- Create visually stunning and provocative, popular video/digital and social media products and content that brings USAID Mekong Safeguard’s donors, projects, and success stories to life.
- Support the chief of party in organizing drafting and finalization of client-facing reports, including annual reports and quarterly reports.
- Advise and support marketing and audience outreach execution to maximize exposure to target audiences concerning events, websites, digital products, and publications.
- Lead storyboarding, script content, filming and editing, music direction, and talent sourcing in collaboration with the program and operations team.
- Curate website and social media presence.
- Support events organization and implementation.
- Manage public relations/communications and design firm contractors and field consultants.
- At least five years of experience in communications and outreach, public relations, multimedia design, media development, journalism, and film.
- Master’s degree in Media and Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Film, Media, Fine Arts, Website Design, or similar.
- The experienced interviewer in one or more of the following languages: Thai, Lao, Vietnamese. Fluent English speaking, reading, and writing; knowledge of Thai or Lao desirable.
- Demonstrated technical excellence with filming equipment (camera operations and technique, microphone and sound production) and digital editing software, including Adobe Creative Cloud, Final Cut Pro, and related products.
- Demonstrated excellence in branding and marketing, including visual design in PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, and similar software; website design skills is a plus.
- Demonstrated corporate or government drafting and proofing public-facing documents, marketing collateral, and announcements.
- Demonstrated media outlet experience in Thailand and/or internationally.
- An impressive portfolio of visual storytelling communications/media products, including online story maps, short films, documentaries.
- Demonstrable experience sourcing media content, production, and editing online through platforms such as Fiverr, Upwork, whiteboard services, Pixabay, Vivedo, Shutterstock.
- Proactive go-getter, constantly searching for opportunities to produce new media products; ability to work under pressure and against hard deadlines.
- Strong willingness to conduct work in the field, sometimes in rural areas.
- Experience in managing programs or initiatives to support regional cooperation or regional policy agendas in Asia.
- Experience with USAID and/or DFAT and experience working in Thailand is preferred.
- Women are highly encouraged to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and CV by September 26, 2021 to [email protected] with the position title listed in the subject line. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/M/F/D/V. No phone calls, please.