Deputy Chief of Party, Afghanistan
Deadline: September 30, 2020
The Asia Foundation is a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia. Working through our offices in 18 countries and informed by deep local expertise and six decades of experience, we address the critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century by: strengthening governance, expanding economic opportunity, increasing environmental resilience, empowering women, and promoting international cooperation.
The Foundation is bidding for a 12-month project to support capacity building of a higher education institute (HEI) based in Kabul, Afghanistan.
As such, the Foundation is seeking to recruit a deputy chief of party to provide technical support in developing the current level of organizational and staff capacity at the target organization in the areas of Financial Management, Human Resource and Procurement.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
The consultant will be responsible for providing hands on support to the chief of party (COP) and is broadly expected to perform following
- Assist the COP in overseeing and monitoring quality of all project activities
- Serve as the point of contact for USAID, HEI and project team in absence of the COP
- Write periodic progress reports in consultation with project team
- Ensure the completion of timely reports and deliverables that meet USAID quality requirements and project deadlines
- Ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of the contract
- Responsible for providing technical direction to the project team
- Responsible for the management of sub-contractors’ performance in line with agreed terms
- Lead the recruitment of consultants including developing TORs for consultants, shortlisting potential candidates, developing interview questions, serve as part of the evaluation committee, and provide perspective on candidates to the COP
The scope of work may change and the responsibilities may vary based on needs of the project and the above is only an outline of the expected requirements. The consultant will, from time to time, be required to undertake other duties of a similar nature as may reasonably be required by his/her line manager.
- An advanced degree (master’s level and above) in Financial Management or professional qualification in Finance and Accounting;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in successfully developing capacity in the area of Financial Management is required;
- Strong analytical ability, practical problem-solving skills, and resourcefulness in performing varied tasks in the above defined areas
- Experience in Afghanistan and/or similar context is preferable;
- Sound understanding of USAID rules and regulations is preferable;
- Excellent analytical reporting and professional English communication skills;
- Hands on experience overseeing Financial Management and/or Department is preferable;
- Experience working with ERP is preferred;
- Excellent facilitation, presentation and mentoring skills; and
- Demonstrated ability working with people from diverse backgrounds.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and CV by September 30, 2020 to email@example.com with the position title listed in the subject line. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/M/F/D/V. No phone calls, please.
HIGHLIGHTS ACROSS ASIA
Navigating the Margins: Family, Mobility and Livelihoods Amongst Rohingya in Bangladesh
September 9, 2020
Nikkei News Features Asia Foundation Op-Ed on Thailand’s Looming Economic Crisis
September 9, 2020
Podcast: Bulldozing ASEAN’s Digital Divide
September 2, 2020
Virtual Event – Enduring the Pandemic: Surveys of the Impact of Covid-19 on the Livelihoods of Thai People
Wednesday, September 9, 2020
Impact Report 2020
Leading through change