Deputy Country Representative, Cambodia
Deadline: June 10, 2022
In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region?
You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: good governance, women’s empowerment and gender equality, inclusive economic growth, environment, and climate action, and regional and international relations. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Asia Foundation’s Cambodia office in Phnom Penh is seeking a new deputy country representative. This position is a member of the senior management team of The Asia Foundation in Cambodia and supports all programs, operations, and external relations in accordance with Foundation strategies and policy guidelines. The deputy country representative is responsible for supporting the management of all aspects of the Foundation’s work in Cambodia, including new program development; the design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities; and the development of effective working relationships with the host government, donors, partner agencies, diplomatic missions, national and international institutions, and the media. This position also supports oversight of financial and grant management, administration, and security; human resources, including the recruitment, guidance, and appraisal of office staff; and fundraising and the diversification of donor support. Additionally, the deputy country representative works with other Asia Foundation offices on multicountry programs, events, and/or exchanges on issues of regional and international importance. The deputy country representative is based in Phnom Penh and reports to the country representative for Cambodia.
- Minimum 10 years of experience managing international development programs, offices, or organizations, preferably in Asia. Master’s degree or higher in a relevant field, such as Economics, Political Science, Law, Public Policy, International Development, Foreign Affairs, or Asian Studies
- Experience in fundraising from ODA sources (experience in proposal writing, managing proposal teams, building and maintaining relationships with donors, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience managing diverse agreements (contracts, cooperative agreements, grants, partnerships, and other bilateral/multilateral contractual arrangements) from public and private donors.
- Strong program management skills and experience, including designing new programs, establishing monitoring and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with donor regulations, coordinating across multiple programs, and identifying solutions to implementation challenges.
- Deep technical knowledge in at least one of the office’s key programming areas: strengthening governance at national and subnational levels, women’s empowerment, economic growth and digital skilling, environmental resilience, and regional and international relations.
- Strong skills in supervising, motivating, and building the capacity of multicultural staff and teams in order to cultivate a culture of innovation and accountability.
- Excellent financial management skills including effective budget oversight.
- Experience with implementation of IT-based compliance systems.
- Good representational and diplomatic skills; as well as interpersonal and intercultural competence.
- Demonstrable decision-making capacity and good judgment.
- Record of recruiting, retaining, and developing top, diverse talent.
- Demonstrable analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent English-language written communication skills, including proposal writing and report editing.
- Minimum of two years of professional experience in Cambodia
- Language proficiency in a Khmer language
- Ability to deploy quickly to Cambodia