Director, Foundation and Corporate Philanthropy
Location: New York, San Francisco
In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region?
You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Asia Foundation’s Resource Development unit in San Francisco is seeking a director for Foundation and Corporate Philanthropy.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The director for Foundation and Corporate Philanthropy plays a vital role in creating successful strategies for engaging and working with institutional donors and partners. Working closely with a three-member corporate and foundation relations team, the director has responsibility for developing and managing relationships with some of The Asia Foundation’s most valued funders, and will lead implementation of the Shared Value strategy with a global set of corporate funding prospects. The director will synthesize the case for support for funders, fostering and guiding the growth in philanthropic engagement with donors during the Foundation’s $50 million comprehensive campaign. The director will independently identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward contributions form corporations and foundations focusing on commitments at the $100,000 level and above. The director will supervise two Corporate and Foundation Relations officers, each with a portfolio of 50+ donors and prospects, and a project grants associate. In collaboration with the chief philanthropy officer, the director will develop and implement solicitation plans for a portfolio of prospects and donors, managing the full solicitation process from the identification and staffing of the appropriate volunteer or solicitor to the development of compelling oral and written proposals, and donor stewardship and recognition.
The director will work closely with the Foundation’s program staff and country representatives volunteers to develop program-related proposals, marketing ideas and fundraising materials for institutional donors and corporate “shared value” partners. The director is an important resource of fundraising knowledge and expertise for trustees and other gift volunteers as well as for program staff and country representatives. The director will oversee development of annual workplans for Corporate and Foundation Relations officers and collaborate with Global Communications staff to develop messaging and outreach to further engagement and solicitation. The director will project contributed income and related expenses for annual budgets, monitor and report on gift revenues and report to the chief philanthropy officer on progress.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in related area, master’s degree preferred.
- A track record of ten years of progressively responsible fundraising experience, with success in working with corporate and foundation donors, preferably with of gifts of $100,000 and more.
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of fundraising, donor relations and prospect analytics.
- Interest in The Asia Foundation including its vision, mission, goals, and objectives.
- Advanced written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, including political acumen to establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies.
- Advanced skill in making persuasive and compelling presentations of an organization’s goals objectives to secure foundation grants and corporate contributions.
- Track record of meeting or exceeding fundraising goals and objectives.
- Extensive knowledge of fundraising principles including the techniques and practices of cultivating foundation and corporate donors.
- Ability to write persuasively, clearly, and concisely, to blend information from multiple sources into a single, effective fundraising document.
- Ability to interact effectively with trustees, donors, and staff at all levels.
- Excellent skills in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, financial projections, and public speaking.
- Familiarity with a donor database, preferably Raiser’s Edge, is strongly recommended.
- Ability to travel on a regular basis throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, nationally and internationally.
- Flexibility in work hours and availability some evenings and weekends.
- Preferred: Substantial knowledge and interest in Asian development and related topics, including relevant issues and programmatic interests of The Asia Foundation.
WHY WORK FOR THE ASIA FOUNDATION?
At a critical moment in history, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the development, stability, and growth of the Asia region. You will help promote a more constructive engagement between government and citizens and advance learning and awareness about The Asia Foundation. You will work with and learn from dedicated, smart, and accomplished colleagues and local partners, and, in the process, improve your skills and expertise.Apply now
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please.
HIGHLIGHTS ACROSS ASIA
Asia's free library for children