Director, Leadership Gifts
Location: San Francisco
In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region? You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, The Asia Foundation addresses critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Asia Foundation’s Resource Development unit is seeking a director for Leadership Gifts in our San Francisco, CA office.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The director for Leadership Gifts plays a vital role in creating successful strategies for leadership donors, and supervising implementation with the team. The director has responsibility for managing relationships with some of The Asia Foundation’s most valued donors. She/he will synthesize the case for support for donors, fostering and guiding the growth in philanthropic engagement with individual donors during the Foundation’s $50 million comprehensive campaign. The director will independently identify, cultivate, solicit, and structure leadership gifts from individuals on commitments at the $100,000+ level and above with a portfolio of 6-and-7 figure campaign prospects. The director will supervise one philanthropy officer in New York; we expect to add another gift officer based in San Francisco. Each will have a portfolio of 100-125 prospects. In collaboration with the chief philanthropy officer and the director of Corporate and Foundation Relations, the director will develop and implement solicitation plans for a portfolio of prospects and donors, managing the full solicitation process—from the identification and staffing of the appropriate volunteer or solicitor to the development of compelling oral and written proposals, and donor stewardship and recognition.
The director will work closely with the trustees and other leadership volunteers to strategize and implement the leadership donor programs, engagement and fundraising events, and manage prospect research to grow and refine the prospect list over time. The director is an important resource of fundraising knowledge and expertise, and will train, manage, coach, and motivate trustees and other gift volunteers as well as provide fundraising guidance to philanthropy officers, program staff and country representatives. The director will oversee development of annual workplans for philanthropy officers and collaborate with Global Communications and events staff to develop messaging and events to further engagement and solicitation. The director will project contributed income and related expenses for annual budgets, monitor and report on gift revenues and report to the chief philanthropy officer on progress. The director will work with Foundation and Corporate Giving staff to develop and execute cultivation and solicitation strategies for family foundations and donor advised funds.
- A track record of ten years of progressively responsible fundraising experience, with success in working with leadership donors, preferably with of gifts of $100,000 and more.
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of fundraising, donor relations and prospect analytics.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area, master’s degree preferred.
- Interest in The Asia Foundation including its vision, mission, goals, and objectives.
- Advanced written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, including political acumen to establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies.
- Advanced skills in making persuasive and compelling presentations of an organization’s goals objectives to secure gifts.
- Advanced organizational skills to meet predetermined goals and objectives through effective program/project planning, organization, execution and evaluation.
- Advanced analytical and critical thinking skills, and the ability to recognize and resolve problems.
- Track record of meeting or exceeding fundraising goals and objectives.
- Extensive knowledge of fundraising principles including the techniques and practices of garnering individual support.
- Ability to write persuasively, clearly, and concisely, to blend information from multiple sources into a single, effective fundraising document.
- Ability to interact effectively with trustees, donors, and staff at all levels.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment and demonstrated flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities.
- Excellent skills in Word, Excel, and financial projections, and public speaking.
- Familiarity with a donor database, preferably Raiser’s Edge, is strongly recommended.
- Advanced knowledge of ethics in fundraising, applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Knowledge of national, regional, and local philanthropic sources preferred.
- Creativity, energy, initiative, and good humor are essential.
- Ability to travel on a regular basis throughout the Bay Area, nationally, and internationally.
- Flexibility in work hours and availability some evenings and weekends.
- Substantial knowledge and interest in Asian development and related topics, including relevant issues for The Asia Foundation preferred.
WHY WORK AT THE ASIA FOUNDATION?
You will have the opportunity to help solve some of the toughest challenges in the development/aid sector. Address environmental problems in the region, improve access to legal information, enhance civil society, promote government engagement/collaboration, and encourage learning and awareness. You will work in an innovative environment and build lasting relationships. The Asia Foundation, its donors, and its partners are unmatched throughout the region. This is an opportunity to work with and learn from some of the most accomplished leaders, influencers, and social entrepreneurs working in Asia today.
HIGHLIGHTS ACROSS ASIA
Let’s Read, our free digital library,
is helping children learn at home.
Learn about our Covid-19 efforts.
Let’s Read, our free digital library, is helping children learn at home. Learn about our Covid-19 efforts.