Environmental Communications Advisor
Program area: Environment and Climate Action
*** This position will remain open until filled ***
Three-month position with the potential to extend
Part-time 8 to 18 hours a week
In an increasingly complex and changing world, we believe that a peaceful and engaged Asia is of critical global importance. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, The Asia Foundation’s programs in 18 countries address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation.
The Asia Foundation’s Environment and Climate Action Program team (ENV) is seeking a part-time Advisor to plan and implement communication activities that will raise the Foundation’s profile and impacts externally among key audiences, including the public sector and corporations. Activities will draw on a draft communications strategy to strengthen both external and internal communications. This position is expected to lead internal program communications within the Foundation and strengthen its communities of practices. Externally, the role will create and produce experiences and success stories that will be shared with the general public, including existing and potential partners and funders, by developing and implementing a dynamic communications strategy.
Scope of Work
- In consultation/ collaboration with the ENV team (and other Foundation personnel as appropriate), plan and lead communications activities, including but not limited to:
- Review ENV’s draft communications strategy and suggest recommendations as appropriate to strengthen the plan. Periodically review this strategy over time to identify potential updates.
- This plan identifies both internal and external communication strategies, both to strengthen information exchange and communities of practice within the Foundation, as well as increase and strengthen the team’s outreach effectiveness and profiles.
- Strengthen the Foundation’s external ENV program communications and outreach through a variety of tools and platforms, including blogs, reports, webinars, brochures, and content for the Foundation’s website.
- Develop supporting materials and digital content, such as slide decks for presentations, social media content, and/or video posts.
- Strengthen internal communications activities by directing coordinating the publication of ENV’s quarterly newsletter, directing the monthly brown bag series (conducted online), and cultivating robust communities of practice for Foundation personnel in the Foundation’s offices throughout the region.
- Other duties by mutual agreement.
The preferred candidate possesses:
- A minimum of three years of demonstrated experience in environmental communications, preferably with an international development organization
- Academic qualifications in either environmental sciences and/or communications.
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Demonstrated experience in relevant communications software
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience, in the Asia and/or Pacific region
- Communicates well in an intercultural environment
- Self-directed and able to work remotely.
- Available for periodic calls via Zoom or Teams, ideally in either or both Bangkok or San Francisco time zones.
Why work at the Foundation?
At a critical moment in history, you will have the opportunity to help solve some of the toughest challenges in the development/aid sector. You will work with people who address environmental problems in the Asia region, improve access to legal information, enhance civil society, promote government engagement/collaboration, and encourage learning and awareness. You will work in an innovative environment and build lasting relationships. The Asia Foundation, its donors, and its partners are unmatched throughout the region.
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please.