Intern, Let’s Read
Location: San Francisco
San Leandro, CA
In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region?
You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Asia Foundation is hiring an intern for its Let’s Read initiative. The mission of Let’s Read is to build curious and educated readers and create thriving societies. Let’s Read brings together the talent of local partners and power of technology to create and translate relatable children’s books while nurturing reading habits that enable children to reach important developmental milestones. Let’s Read empowers families to share stories that affirm their culture and communities to benefit from the contributions of all their members.
The intern will work out Asia Foundation offices in San Leandro and/or San Francisco to grow and maintain the centerpiece of the Let’s Read initiative, the Let’s Read digital library, Asia’s largest free digital library for children. The library (www.letsreadasia.org) currently contains 22 languages and over 2,000 Creative Commons licensed titles, most created by authors and illustrators in Asia. As part of a small team within a large operating foundation, the intern will be exposed to all aspects of The Asia Foundation’s Let’s Read strategy and roll out. And, the intern will have the option of learning about the wide range of Asia Foundation programs by attending monthly staff meetings, meeting with staff working in additional areas of interest, and attending internal Asia Foundation briefs by visiting country office staff and guests. The internship is anticipated to require approximately 15 hours/week and will be compensated.
The intern will have the opportunity to contribute to the following:
- Grow the Let’s Read library and learn how digital libraries work. Manage the addition of new books in a wide variety of languages (knowledge of the languages not necessary) to the library, including uploading EPUBS and tagging metadata; reviewing and revising attributions, text, and images; and communicating with Asia Foundation staff in country offices for quality assurance.
- Research and design a variety of reading adoption projects to fit needs and contexts in Asian countries, including children, family, and community outreach strategies and teacher/classroom integration.
- Research to identify new sources of content to build collections of storybooks that address inclusion, gender equality, tolerance, intercommunal harmony, environmental stewardship, and other topics.
- Social media strategy for Let’s Read.
- Addition of new languages using the Let’s Read translation tool (if fluent).
We are seeking talented, high-energy individuals who will benefit from their affiliation with the Foundation and contribute to the organization as well. Interests and skills relevant to the position include:
- Interest in education and technology, mother tongue and multi lingual education, languages, reading, literacy, digital publishing
- Enrollment in an academic program in Education or another relevant field
- Authorization to legally work in the United States without sponsorship
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Basic comfort with digital platforms and apps
- Attention to process and detail
Why work at The Asia Foundation?
You will have the opportunity to help solve some of the toughest challenges in the development/aid sector. Address environmental problems in the region, improve access to legal information, enhance civil society, promote government engagement/collaboration, and encourage learning and awareness. You will work in an innovative environment and build lasting relationships. The Asia Foundation, its donors, and its partners are unmatched throughout the region. This is an opportunity to work with and learn from some of the most accomplished leaders, influencers, and social entrepreneurs working in Asia today.Apply now
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please.
HIGHLIGHTS ACROSS ASIA
Cambodia’s National Institute of Diplomacy and International Relations and The Asia Foundation Sign MOU
July 2, 2020
Nikkei Asian Review Highlights Go Digital ASEAN
June 30, 2020
ASEAN and The Asia Foundation, with Support from Google.org, Collaborate to Equip 200,000 Micro and Small Enterprises with Digital Skills and Tools Amidst the Covid-19 Crisis
June 22, 2020
Myanmar Times Cites Asia Foundation Survey on Business Impact of Covid-19
June 15, 2020
Let’s Read, our free digital library,
is helping children learn at home.
Learn about our Covid-19 efforts.
Let’s Read, our free digital library, is helping children learn at home. Learn about our Covid-19 efforts.