Junior Associate, Environment
In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region? You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and international cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Asia Foundation’s Environment unit team seeks a Junior Associate (JA) to work remotely for our San Francisco, CA office during the summer 2021 program period from June 28 to September 17, 2021.
Scope of work
- Enhance the Foundation’s environmental program online presence through the Foundation website and social media channels.
- Collect relevant information and developing marketing and outreach materials (capacity statement, project highlights, blog posts).
- Research competitor organizations involved in environmental programming areas (natural resources management; disaster risk reduction and climate resilience; green growth and climate change mitigation) in the region to assist in niche specification and differentiation.
- Support high prospect donor identification and concept note/proposal development.
- Marketing and outreach materials: The JA will produce marketing and outreach materials that will be used to provide prospective strategic partners and donors with concise and compelling information about the Foundations approaches, expertise, and key achievements in environmental programming.
- Donor analysis and prioritization: Based on the existing potential funders list put together by the environment team, conduct more in-depth research and analysis to evaluate relevant prospects funding interests, requirement, organizational alignment, and produce a high prospect donor list.
- Research and proposal development: The JA will support the team to conduct relevant research and concept/proposal writing.
The Junior Associate (JA) working with the Environment team will gain a deeper understanding of the most pressing environmental challenges facing in the region and contribute to the Foundation efforts to help address them at the national and regional levels. Specifically, the JA will work with the Environment team to strengthen the ability to communicate the Foundation’s unique approaches and expertise in addressing a broad range of environmental issues, through expanded program website content, online publications, development of outreach materials, and curation of the Foundation’s environmental project database used for developing capacity statements and other outreach materials. The JA will also support the team to identify emerging environmental trends and donor interest to propose new project ideas and interventions. Through guided instructions, the JA will deepen the knowledge of environmental programming and sharpen the skills in related research and writing.
The position for the Douglas K. Bereuter Program for Junior Associates in Asian Affairs is expected to be very competitive. We are seeking talented, high-energy individuals who will benefit from their affiliation with the Foundation and contribute to the organization as well.
- Received a post-graduate degree within the past two years. In addition, to be considered, a candidate must have completed and obtained this degree prior to the beginning of the program period. The summer 2021 program period is June 28, 2021 to September 17, 2021.
- Completed graduate studies in Asia-related areas: international relations, international development, public administration, public policy, law, political science, economics, women’s empowerment and/or sociology with work experience in Asia.
- Authorization to legally work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Great organizational skills.
- Great computer skills.
The ideal candidate has a passion and ideally a background in environmental issues and/or communications, who can operate with a minimum of supervision but also prepared to work collaboratively as a member of a close-knit team. The candidate should have strong interpersonal/intercultural communication skills as s/he will engage with multiple teams and program offices within the Foundation and beyond.
WHY WORK AT THE ASIA FOUNDATION:
You will have the opportunity to help solve some of the toughest challenges in the development/aid sector. Address environmental problems in the region, improve access to legal information, enhance civil society, promote government engagement/collaboration, and encourage learning and awareness. You will work in an innovative environment and build lasting relationships. The Asia Foundation, its donors, and its partners are unmatched throughout the region. This is an opportunity to work with and learn from some of the most accomplished leaders, influencers, and social entrepreneurs working in Asia today.Apply now
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please.
This position offers medical, dental, and vision benefits.
**Must be legally eligible to work in the United States **
The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V. No phone calls, please.
HIGHLIGHTS ACROSS ASIA
Afghanistan Flash Surveys on Perceptions of Peace, Covid-19 & the Economy
April 29, 2021
Afghanistan Flash Surveys on Perceptions of Peace, Covid-19, and the Economy: Wave 3 Findings
April 28, 2021
Back-to-Back Spikes of Covid Wrack India, Nepal
April 28, 2021
Sustainable Fashion Pioneer Eileen Fisher and Sri Lanka’s Women In Need to be Honored at 2021 Lotus Leadership Awards
April 20, 2021
Impact Report 2020
Leading through change