Manager, Program Support Unit, Timor-Leste
In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region?
You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
The Asia Foundation’s Timor-Leste Office in Dili is seeking a manager for the Program Support Unit. The manager is responsible to support a variety of programs within the Foundation’s large and dynamic portfolio in Timor-Leste that includes prevention of gender-based violence, community policing and tourism promotion. The manager will also oversee communications and monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) for the office.
The manager will have significant project management experience of all aspect of the project cycle including design, implementation and MEL. She/he will also have significant management experience and will be responsible to support project administration, financial and grant management, and donor reporting. The manager will oversee a team of national staff. The program manager will also contribute to the broader development of the office’s portfolio.
- Position reports to deputy country representative
- Position responsible for managing Communications officer, Monitoring and Evaluation officer
- Provides advice and support to program team leaders
Program Management Support: Quality, Compliance, Communications, MEL
- Support program management functions for all projects including MEL and donor reporting.
- Develop a Program Management Manual for consistent program management of the project life cycle and administration across all projects in the office for use by program teams.
- Provide substantive inputs, coaching and assistance to other program staff and partners/grantees as they plan for, design, and implement project activities to ensure program quality.
- Ensure timely submission of all project documentation, including workplans, reports, M&E frameworks, branding and marketing plans, etc.
- Support project leads to develop and monitor appropriate budgets to support technical activities, with relevant data and assistance from the Finance unit.
- Support programs to write Terms of Reference and Memoranda of Understanding for project consultants and partners.
- Ensure projects are well monitored; data collected and analyzed for reporting to donors and stakeholders.
- Ensure that activities and projects are implemented in accordance with the donor and Foundation rules and regulations.
- Review workplans and reports from implementing partners as necessary.
Program Management Unit Team Management
- Oversee and manage a team of national staff, and international consultants as necessary, to support communications and MEL activities across all programs.
- Research and Communications: Support the development, and ensure high quality, of any research and information materials that will be produced by The Asia Foundation’s Timor-Leste office.
- Minimum eight years or more of relevant professional experience of designing, managing and implementing programs in developing countries.
- Advanced degree in relevant field, e.g. Law, Policy Studies, Political Science, Economics, Social Sciences, Public Policy, Public Administration, International Relations, Women’s Education/Development, Economics, Foreign Affairs or Asian Studies.
- Significant experience working on development issues, preferably including gender-based violence, policing/security sector reform, or access to justice.
- Solid experience in project management, budget management and oversight, team building in a multi-cultural environment, efficient and effective delivery of project milestones, and donor relations. Must have experience managing international donor-funded projects.
- Excellent oral and written language skills, including ability to quickly synthesize complex technical and programmatic issues into concise communication, and develop high quality reports based on donor reporting guidelines.
- Strong team building, management, and administration skills. Ability to self-manage, independently prioritize tasks, and confidently develop plans of action with minimal direction.
- Strong political awareness. Knowledge of governance institutions and practices in development countries, particularly Asia and Timor-Leste preferably.
- Gender programming and mainstreaming experience.
- Strong time-management skills and professional organizational abilities.
- Ability to travel within the country, as required.
- Experience in proposal and report writing, financial and grants management and budget control, strategic planning, and fundraising.
Why work at The Asia Foundation?
You will have the opportunity to contribute to development in Timor-Leste and, more broadly, to the development, stability, and growth of the dynamic Asian region. You will help promote a more effective and constructive engagement between government and citizens, strengthen the role of women and minorities, and advance learning and awareness about the country. In Timor-Leste, other Asian countries, and with headquarters, you will work with and learn from dedicated, smart, and accomplished colleagues, program partners, and local leaders. In the process, you will improve your skills and grow as a development professional.Apply now
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please.
HIGHLIGHTS ACROSS ASIA
Let’s Read, our free digital library,
is helping children learn at home.
Learn about our Covid-19 efforts.
Let’s Read, our free digital library, is helping children learn at home. Learn about our Covid-19 efforts.