Philanthropy Officer, Resource Development
Location: San Francisco
*** This position will remain open until filled ***
In an increasingly complex and interconnected world, Asia plays a crucial global role. Would you be excited at the prospect of employing your knowledge and skills to improve lives, expand opportunities, and help societies flourish across this dynamic region?
You could have this opportunity at The Asia Foundation. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, we address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Together with our partners, we are committed to Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
SUMMARY OF POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the general supervision of the chief philanthropy officer, the philanthropy officer will work independently to identify, cultivate, solicit, structure, and steward major and leadership gifts from individuals, corporations, and foundations, focusing on commitments of $50,000-$500,000 and above. The philanthropy officer will work closely with the director of Leadership Donors and Development Operations director to maximize substantial giving to the Foundation. Through this collaboration, the philanthropy officer will develop and implement solicitation plans for a portfolio of 100-150 prospects and donors. S/he will manage the full solicitation process from the identification and staffing of the appropriate volunteer or solicitor to the development of compelling oral and written proposals.
The position will coordinate and implement individual leadership gifts for the Foundation, including special initiatives and projects, volunteer management, donor relations and stewardship. The philanthropy officer will identify and cultivate new sources of funding, and solicitations of prospects to support the Foundation’s campaign priorities. S/he will oversee donor recognition and stewardship activities for Leadership gifts, including text and logo acknowledgments, special events, and related sponsorship benefits and activation activities. The position will work closely with The Asia Foundation Board of Trustees.
The officer has responsibility for managing relationships with some of The Asia Foundation’s most valued donors. The officer is an important resource of fundraising knowledge and expertise, and will train, manage, coach, and motivate trustees and other gift volunteers as well as provide fundraising guidance to Program staff and country representatives.
- Five years of fundraising experience in working with individual donors, preferably with of gifts of $25,000 and more
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of fundraising, donor relations and prospect analytics
- Bachelor’s degree in related area
- Interest in The Asia Foundation including its vision, mission, goals, objectives, and achievements
- Advanced written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, including political acumen to establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies
- Ability to make persuasive and compelling presentations of an organization’s goals and objectives to secure gifts
- Organizational skills to meet predetermined goals and objectives through effective program/project planning, organization, execution and evaluation
- Ability to interact effectively with trustees, donors, and staff at all levels is required
- Experience working in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment and demonstrated flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities is a must
- Excellent skills in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, financial projections, and public speaking
- Familiarity with a donor database, preferably Raiser’s Edge, is strongly recommended
- Advanced knowledge of ethics in fundraising, applicable laws, rules, and regulations
- Creativity, energy, initiative, and good humor are essential
- Ability to travel locally or regionally, and when necessary with overnight trips
- Flexibility in work hours and availability some evenings and weekends
- Graduate degree preferred
- Knowledge of Asia, including relevant issues for The Asia Foundation
- Knowledge of national, regional, and local philanthropic sources preferred
WHY WORK AT THE ASIA FOUNDATION?
At a critical moment in history, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the development, stability, and growth of the Asia region. You will help promote a more constructive engagement between government and citizens and advance learning and awareness about The Asia Foundation. You will work with and learn from dedicated, smart, and accomplished colleagues and local partners, and, in the process, improve your skills and expertise.Apply now
The Foundation offers excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience. The Asia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please.
HIGHLIGHTS ACROSS ASIA
CNN Philippines Highlights New Report on Policy and Emerging Internet Technologies
November 6, 2018
Washington, DC Public Program: The Asia Foundation’s 2018 Survey of the Afghan People
Tuesday, December 4, 2018
The Asia Foundation Releases New Edition of State and Region Governments in Myanmar Report
November 1, 2018
The Asia Foundation’s Migrant Women Program in China Selected for Moody’s Reshape Tomorrow Initiative
October 25, 2018
Emerging Lessons on Women’s Entrepreneurship in Asia and the Pacific
Case Studies from the Asian Development Bank and The Asia Foundation