Regional Program Coordinator Advisor, Malaysia
In an increasingly complex and changing world, The Asia Foundation believes that a peaceful and engaged Asia is of critical global importance. We work with innovative leaders and communities to build effective institutions and advance path-breaking reforms. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, The Asia Foundation’s programs address critical issues affecting Asia in the 21st century: good governance; women’s empowerment and gender equality; inclusive economic growth; environment and climate action; and regional and international cooperation. These are just some of the ways we, together with our partners, encourage Asia’s continued development as a peaceful, just, and thriving region of the world.
Engaged in fast-paced, dynamic, and essential work, The Asia Foundation promotes technology innovation and policy processes that contribute to development, economic participation, and the safety and security of people in the Asia-Pacific. We work on the front lines of change in the region, from digitizing micro and small businesses during the Covid-19 pandemic to regional policy dialogues on digital innovation and countering disinformation and conflict online. We are committed to promoting effective and inclusive uses of technology and navigating the challenges posed by an increasingly connected world.
The Foundation seeks a qualified and dynamic full-time Kuala Lumpur-based Advisor to fill the role of a regional program advisor. Reporting to the Foundation’s Malaysia office and the San Francisco-based Technology team, the regional program coordinator will help implement and expand Technology initiatives spanning the Asia Pacific region. This is a unique opportunity for an individual passionate about digital solutions to contemporary development challenges and committed to improving people’s lives. Your role will combine management skills, build international networks, and engage in high-level policy dialogue. You are at your best in a dynamic, demanding environment combining independent initiative and teamwork, where flexibility and problem-solving abilities are required.
The successful applicant should have experience managing and providing value to mission-driven initiatives and a demonstrated interest in technology or innovation for development. Excellent verbal, written communication, and interpersonal skills are essential.
You will support efforts to build and cultivate partnerships with tech companies, academia, and other tech policy groups and work in close collaboration with our partners in Asia, Pacific Islands, Latin America, and the United States – including international donor agencies and multilateral organizations (APEC, ASEAN, DFAT, DFID, ILO), global tech companies, private sector donors, and local developer networks. This position will provide numerous opportunities for motivated and creative individuals to learn more about international development and support exciting and challenging initiatives.
- The regional program coordinator position is based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Contribute to designing and administering mission-driven initiatives promoting digitalization in the Asia Pacific region.
- Support a regional initiative with technology professionals in partnership with Google and other global tech companies.
- Coordinate projects, such as hackathons, webinars, and leadership training sessions.
- Coordinate creating public outreach materials, such as videos and case studies.
- Design and coordinate engagement online and onsite activities for a group of volunteers.
- Support Technology programs team on logistics and administration.
- Coordinate and update Technology programs team and Malaysia country representative on project-related matters.
- Coordinate the implementation of program initiatives in the digital economy, including ensuring the quality of outputs and results with optimal monitoring mechanisms.
- Bachelor’s degree in Technology, Social Science, Business, or International Development field or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
- The regional program coordinator should be well versed in current issues, challenges, and debates in the technology policy space, particularly in Asia and the Pacific. The candidate should possess:
- Leadership and teamwork, to organize a diverse group of talented volunteers, implement mission-based activities in the digital economy, and engage with current and potential funding partners. Proven experience leading or starting projects, managing people, and gathering funding would be an asset;
- Outstanding program management, representational skills, and ability to translate complex technical principles into simple terms in both verbal and written forms for external visibility-raising purposes;
- Ability to effectively convert rough project ideas into compelling and tailored program proposals for targeted, prospective donor audiences;
- Technical expertise and in-depth understanding of contemporary technology and innovation policy topics with particular emphasis on one or more of the following areas: cybersecurity policy and practice; online safety; mis- and disinformation topics;
- Proficiency in one or more Asian languages, software development and customer experience, or experience living and working in Asia would be a plus.
WHY WORK AT THE ASIA FOUNDATION?
At a critical moment in Asia’s development trajectory, you will have the opportunity to help solve some of the toughest challenges in the development sector. You will work with people who encourage learning and leadership, enhance civil society, promote constructive government engagement, advance equality, and diversity, support women’s empowerment, and address environmental problems in the Asia region. You will work in an innovative environment and build lasting relationships. The Asia Foundation and its partners are unmatched throughout the region. This is an opportunity to work with and learn from some of the most accomplished leaders, influencers, and social entrepreneurs working in and with Asia today.