Senior Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Specialist (Consultant)
The Asia Foundation’s Thailand office seeks a part-time qualified individual to fulfill the position of senior gender equality and social inclusion (GESI) specialist with practical experience in integrating GESI considerations into infrastructure projects’ design, planning, and operations to support the USAID and Australia Mekong Safeguards Program. This position reports to the deputy chief of party, based in Bangkok, Thailand, and director of Lao PDR, Vietnam, Cambodia & Myanmar, based in Vientiane, Lao PDR.
USAID and Australia Mekong Safeguards Program (Mekong Safeguards) is a five-year $10.6 million project working with major banks, governments, and developers in Thailand, Vietnam, Lao PDR, Cambodia, Myanmar, and China on large energy and transportation infrastructure investments to strengthen environmental and social standards and practices in Southeast Asia’s Lower Mekong Region. The program is an exciting opportunity to support new and improved ways governments, financiers, developers, and civil society organizations can invest and build sustainable energy and transportation infrastructure.
The senior GESI specialist will provide leadership, management, and technical direction to the GESI components of the program, to ensure GESI considerations are incorporated into vital programmatic deliverables impacting infrastructure planning and development. The senior GESI specialist will also be responsible for leading and monitoring the implementation of the Gender Inclusion Development Action Plan (GIDAP) developed for this program. Some of the key deliverables in the GIDAP and program work plan include developing and delivering (i) training including GESI consideration and perspective in the legal framework in Lao PDR, Vietnam, and/or Thailand; (ii) training for developers on how to integrate GESI as part of the Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) risk assessments in large-scale energy and transportation infrastructure projects; and (iii) technical assistance for project developers to strengthen GESI standards and GESI-responsive procurement into solar and wind power project planning. Other planned activities include directly applying strengthened GESI-related social safeguards on transboundary or regionally relevant infrastructure projects.
The senior GESI specialist should have demonstrable experience conducting GESI training with governments and the private sector and practical experience in GESI integration in infrastructure design and operations, particularly in the energy, transportation, and water sectors. Though preferably based in Bangkok, consultants in the Mekong Region will also be considered. Travel and fieldwork are likely required to Lower Mekong countries such as Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and/or Cambodia.
- Provide GESI technical guidance related to Mekong Safeguards objectives.
- Prepare and deliver training content across the program’s various components to ensure GESI integration in program initiatives and training.
- Lead and advise on applied GESI improvements and implementation to policies, standards, and specific infrastructure project developments in the energy, transportation, and water sectors. Specific infrastructure project types include transboundary high-speed railways, powerplants (hydropower, conventional, and renewable), canals, and waterways.
- Lead and support technical assistance for project developers and their contractors to strengthen GESI standards and GESI-responsive procurement into project planning.
- Lead and support GESI improvements to lending practices conducted by multilateral development banks, national banks, and transnational funds, including but not limited to the World Bank, Asian Development Bank, the Green Climate Fund, and national private lenders.
- Support the monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) team to track and report against GESI-related indicators and disaggregate data appropriately to analyze results within each project component, as well as conduct annual GESI assessments to measure progress and adjust and/or refine project activities.
- Develop tools, frameworks, and resources to integrate GESI program activities better.
- Assist in preparing communications materials that highlight the program’s GESI programming, successes, and lessons learned.
- Master’s degree or higher in the relevant subject area(s), preferably in gender, social work, political science, international development, or community development required. Bachelor’s degree is sufficient if supported by extensive work experience.
- At least seven years of relevant experience designing, managing, and implementing activities to promote gender equality and social inclusion.
- Strong understanding of gender equality and social inclusion issues in energy and transportation infrastructure projects in the region.
- Ability to navigate politically sensitive subjects and maintain constructive relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders, particularly in the context of GESI.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and transmit their vision to partners and colleagues.
- Ability to influence, motivate, and collaborate with others.
- Ability to work under pressure and against deadlines.
- Fluent English speaking, reading, and writing; knowledge of Thai or Lao language desirable.
- Experience working in Thailand, Lao PDR, Cambodia, and/or Vietnam is preferred.
- Experience with USAID and/or DFAT preferred.
- Women are highly encouraged to apply.