The deadline for applications for the 2022 Asia Foundation Development Fellows program has been extended to Monday, December 13, 2021.
The Asia Foundation Development Fellows program is a dynamic and multifaceted learning program designed for highly talented Asian individuals, under age 40, to enhance their leadership skills, Asian development knowledge, professional networks, and international exposure. The program reflects the Foundation’s six-decade tradition of investing in the region’s most promising future leaders.
The Asia Foundation Development Fellows program is comprised of the following components:
Spring 2022: Leadership Training Program & Study Tour (Virtual) –
The Leadership Training Program includes 20 hours of intensive leadership training sessions and 10-20 hours of Asian Development Virtual Study Tour sessions held across 6 weeks, between March 19th and April 29th of 2022.
- The Leadership Training Program is highly interactive and hands on, featuring Leadership Development coaches, speakers, assignments, and sessions focused on self-care and wellness for leaders.
- The opening sessions will be held over several consecutive days, for several hours each day, requiring a full-time commitment. (Much like a conference or multi-day workshop). For this, we will provide logistical support to ensure your ability to participate fully.
The Asian Development Virtual Study Tour (structured as a webinar series) will connect Fellows with leading development practitioners and thinkers, recognized policy leaders, and local innovators who will help Fellows explore approaches that deliver positive impact and advance development knowledge. The Virtual Study Tour will take place over the month of April. In previous years, the program has focused on the Philippines, Nepal, Mongolia, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Singapore and Korea.
Forum on Leadership for Asia’s Future (Asia) –
The biennial Forum on Leadership for Asia’s Future: At the Frontlines of Change presents an invaluable opportunity to gather alumni of the eight current and former cohorts of Asia Foundation Development Fellows and other young and inspirational changemakers from across Asia to discuss shared development challenges, build and deepen networks of support, promote knowledge sharing, recognize achievements, and highlight creative avenues for innovation and collaboration.
Fall 2022: Leadership Dialogue and Exchange Program –
The leadership dialogue and exchange program will be held in the United States between October 9 and October 22, 2022 (subject to Covid-19 restrictions), providing important opportunities for Fellows to extend personal bonds with their cohort and build new international perspectives and networks of support and inspiration. Over this two-week period, the Fellows will take part in a comprehensive series of programs, policy discussions, and unique learning and leadership development opportunities organized in and around San Francisco and Washington, D.C.
Professional Development Award – An award of up to US$5,000 will be made available to each selected Fellow. This cash award will allow Fellows the opportunity to design individualized plans to further their leadership skills and relevant professional experience in areas of particular importance to their career growth. Each Fellow will be asked to develop a personalized, year-long work plan that can involve such areas as enrollment in specialized training programs or short courses, language study, travel to attend key regional forums or workshops, or engagement in a series of other enrichment activities.
Executive Coaching & Mentoring – The Asia Foundation lends valuable perspectives to the field of leadership development, with a proven program history and record of commitment throughout Asia. Building on the regional network and local capacity of the Foundation, the program offers mentorship matching support tailored to the background and professional interests of each of the Fellows. Additionally, Fellows are offered a fixed number of one-on-one executive coaching sessions throughout their fellowship year.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Asia Foundation Development Fellows must:
- Have a demonstrable record of experience and accomplishment related to The Asia Foundation’s fields of expertise: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation;
- Be thoughtful, committed, respected and inspirational leaders within their professional fields and within their larger community;
- Be under 40 years of age by January 1, 2022;
- Be conversant in English (TOEFL exam results are not required);
- Be available and able to participate in all program components on the program dates specified; and
- Be resident nationals or citizens of the following countries and region where The Asia Foundation has programs: Afghanistan; Bangladesh; Cambodia; China; India; Indonesia; Japan; Korea; Laos; Malaysia; Mongolia; Myanmar; Nepal; Pacific Islands; Pakistan; Philippines; Singapore; Sri Lanka; Thailand; Timor-Leste; and, Vietnam.
The program is highly competitive. Staff from The Asia Foundation will evaluate each application thoroughly and narrow down the pool of applicants. Final selections will be conducted by a distinguished committee with expertise on Asia’s needs and development conditions. Fellows will be chosen without regard to gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic background, marital status, or financial need. All submitted application information will be treated as confidential unless stated otherwise in the application. The identities of nominees will also remain confidential throughout the final selection process.
Please direct any inquiries to the Asia Foundation Development Fellows staff at [email protected].
STEP 1) CHECK YOUR ELIGIBILITY
Please carefully read the Eligibility and Selection criteria above, and read the Application Instructions.
STEP 2) PREPARE FOR THE APPLICATION PROCESS
Review the Application Guidelines and Instructions and complete each component of the application:
- Personal information
- Written submission
- Short video submission
- Letters of recommendation (handled online)
STEP 3) START YOUR APPLICATION
The application window will be open from Monday, October 11, 2021 to Monday, December 13, 2021