Applications Open for YSEALI Ocean Jobs for Sustainable Futures Regional Workshop
March 4, 2021 — The Asia Foundation invites applications for the 2021 YSEALI Ocean Jobs for Sustainable Futures Regional Workshop implemented by the Foundation in partnership with the U.S. Embassy in Timor-Leste. The workshop, designed for students, entrepreneurs, and young professionals ages 23-35 from across ASEAN and Timor-Leste, will be held from June 7 to June 14, 2021, including weekend sessions. The workshop will be hosted in-person in Timor-Leste and virtually across ASEAN.
The virtual workshop will connect 35 participants from across ASEAN and Timor-Leste to build theoretical and practical knowledge about aquatic issues and sustainable economic development of ocean and river resources; expose participants to examples of viable business models for sustainable water resource, aquaculture, and fisheries management, particularly socially-responsible SMEs; develop leadership skills; challenge participants to develop innovative models for simple, cost-effective initiatives to implement in their own communities; and strengthen the transnational network of young leaders across Southeast Asia.
Participants will gain an understanding of sustainable economic development for coastal and marine resources, environmental conservation and resource protection; sustainable and eco-friendly tourism, other livelihood development; renewable energy and socially responsible business practices; maritime law enforcement issues; and leadership development and entrepreneurship. The workshop will include a series of online skills-building sessions, activities, speakers, collaborative group projects, virtual tours of inland aquaculture, river and ocean jobs projects and ecotourism initiatives, as well as mentoring and networking opportunities with leaders from the region and the United States.
Participants will develop marine sustainability initiatives to implement in their home communities and explore opportunities to expand their work, exchange ideas on how to foster economic growth in their communities, and discover avenues for stronger regional cooperation and cooperation between the U.S. and ASEAN. The schedule will include four hours of commitment each day during the week through a combination of interactive and self-directed work, and six hours of commitment on the weekend of the program.
- YSEALI Member (Join YSEALI now)
- Aged 23-35 years old (at the time of application and workshop)
- Citizen of one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, or Vietnam
- Currently residing in one of the following countries: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, or Vietnam
- Have at least 6 months of work experience or volunteer experience
- Have interest and some experience in marine science, ecotourism, entrepreneurship, natural resource management, community engagement, traditional resource use or other relevant fields.
- Passionate about building communities and have a keen interest in building a network through collaboration and partnership with other Southeast Asian countries
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Will commit to a minimum of 36 hours of virtual/online sessions from the workshop agenda from June 7 to June 14, including weekend sessions held Saturday and Sunday
Apply now to participate! The application deadline is Monday, April 5, 2021 by 11:59pm Pacific Time (UTC-7).
The workshop is supported by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Embassy Dili, and organized by The Asia Foundation.
The Asia Foundation is a nonprofit international development organization committed to improving lives across a dynamic and developing Asia. Informed by six decades of experience and deep local expertise, our work across the region addresses five overarching goals—strengthen governance, empower women, expand economic opportunity, increase environmental resilience, and promote international cooperation.
Read more about the Foundation’s work.
HIGHLIGHTS ACROSS ASIA
Thailand’s Online Education Portal Supports Individualized Learning
GovAsia Issue 3 – Barely Staying Afloat: The Impact of Covid-19 on MSMEs in Southeast Asia
August 13, 2021
Leaders on the Frontlines:
Leaders for a Better World
Tuesday, November 9, 2021, 6PM PT